Thursday, November 6, 2008

I VOTED!

I voted on Tuesday in what will probably be known as one of the most monumental elections in the history of our country. Barack Obama became America's first African American President. I am proud that our country has come this far; where race no longer divides us, but we embrace our differences and we can learn from each other. I can honestly say that I woke up Tuesday morning not knowing who I was going to vote for. Not that I was uninformed; I followed the debates and read the policies of both candidates thoroughly. However, I felt that both Obama & McCain could be a great President. I never once doubted that both men wanted what was best for the American people. They just happened to differ on the path to get there. I ended up voting for McCain because I felt that his fundamental ideology aligned more closely with mine. However, being someone who has professed to be a conservative since I was 13, I can honestly say that Obama got me excited. I am not interested in complaining about the election because I am rejuvenated by our generation's willingness to participate in such a meaningful way throughout the campaign and election process. I have read countless articles about the "millennial generation" and how we expect everything to be handed to us, and how we are unwilling to get involved. I think we are proving that we can be a generation of "Change" - to take a page from Obama's book. We have the opportunity to continue to build on this for elections to come, and hopefully, we will try to bring about positive change in our own communities in the meantime. Before you know it, we will be leading this country and the more we get involved now, the better off we will be in the future.

No comments: