Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Don't Live the Myth, Don't Miss a Moment

I have been thinking about baseball a lot the past few days because I have had two dreams that I had begun playing again. I was also asked to join the Cardinal Club Board of Directors for William Jewell, so I have been reflecting on my experience as a student athlete at WJC. The title of my post is very significant to any Jewell baseball player because those two statements are mottos of the program. I think these two statements also have a practical application in life. You may be asking, "What is the myth?" The myth is that its the batters job to move a runner to the next base. Coach Stockton taught us that it is our job as a base runner to find opportunities to move ourselves (i.e. dirtball reads, past balls, stolen bases etc.). The more time I spend at the bank, the more I realize how applicable this motto is in the business world. The myth that I have been living is that it is the company's job or my bosses job to promote me if I do my job well. I couldn't have been more wrong. I have found that I have to continually promote my abilities to management and continue to search for opportunities to advance my career. The second statement goes along with the first, but just goes a little deeper. There are only so many opportunities (moments) in a baseball game to capitalize on the mistakes of the other team or to capitalize on your strengths. In life it is the same way. You only live once and you have to make the most of every opportunity. I think that I will begin to live by the mottos that served me well in college while playing baseball and I have a good feeling that it will serve me well in life.

I am, however, still trying to figure out how our third motto relates to life....."Hit the ball hard with backspin?" I guess I will need to continue to think about that one.

No comments: